Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Our Cinco De Mayo Fiesta at Banner Desert...cha cha cha


We had an eventful evening last night…I started cooking at noon, didn't eat lunch to ensure I would be really hungry for dinner. We were having a Cinco De Mayo get together at 6pm, 5:30 went to neighbors (who just delivered) to drop off enchiladas, Olivia and Jay came with me to see baby Jack. We got back home at 6, people started arriving, Olivia was jumping from the kids table onto the sectional, back and forth, back and forth. I said about 10 x’s “Olivia stop jumping, sit on your bottom please.“ On her last a jump at 6:15 she landed face first on a compartment built in the sectional that holds remotes. It also serves as a arm rest, covered with leather and cushion. She split open her eye lid, not brow of course.
My sister and I jumped in the car and headed to the hospital. Three hospitals later we were at Banner Desert Children's in Mesa Arizona. No one wanted to stitch the eye lid due to it being so complicated and dangerous. We got there at 7:30...it was packed of course. At this point I already had a migraine from not eating and stressing over feeling bad for her. Excedrin had not touched it, I was forced to eat a Snickers bar.
We huddled over in a corner thinking about the enchiladas, I noticed everyone was in masks due to the swine flu. The check in desk was not too far from us, you would hear parents come in and say “My baby has had a runny nose since Saturday.” Why the heck are you at the ER…call your doctor lady. A mom approached the counter and says "my little boy hit his nose earlier today, it did not bleed but it still looks red." They check in and she takes a seat, her little boy ran around playing with a dump truck on the floor.


*NOTE TO PARENTS IF YOUR CHILD IS WELL ENOUGH TO KICK YOU, RUN, ROLL ACROSS THE WAITING ROOM FLOOR WHERE ANOTHER CHILD JUST THREW UP, EAT A BAG OF CHEETOS, OR DRINK A 12OZ BABY BOTTLE OF STRAWBERRY MILK THEY ARE NOT SICK ENOUGH TO BE HERE!*



Before I knew it 9 pm came around and we had not even been triaged yet. My sisters boyfriend came and picked her up, our company had gone home and Chris was cleaning the kitchen and worrying about Olivia.




*SHOUT OUT TO THE MOM WHO TRIED TO GET IN FASTER BY SAYING HER BABY WAS RUNNING A 109DEGREE TEMP AT HOME.*


By Midnight I had some lady sitting next to me with her 2 year old little boy (whose eyes were a little red, she thought he may have been around too much 2nd hand smoke) Again I say, why the heck are you here? The young boy proceeded to pick the dead skin off of his mother's heels and throw it at people coming in while she watched.

1am they finally decide to call her back, only to tape a cotton ball on her eye with some numbing gel. Olivia was ticked at this point because they did not even have rainbow cotton balls! Her mama was ticked too plus almost out of sanitizer.

Against my better judgment I started talking to a few people in the waiting room, some had been there since noon. Four Advil, rice cakes, and a Diet Coke later my headache seemed to be easing up. If the lady across from me pulled one more of those small bags of MacDonald’s peanuts our of her purse I was asking her for one. (How often and how many Sundaes do you eat to collect such an abundance?) I saw her eying the rice cakes, I asked her if she had anymore sundae peanuts, I was not giving up a rice cake for free. She was plain out…..I continued eating the last three rice cakes while she watched on.

2:30 AM they called Olivia back again numbed her up and she received 7 stitches. We were discharged and home at 3, showered and in bed asleep by 3:30. I am still giving her Tylenol but over all I think she is feeling okay and proud of her wound.

Looks like the Get Well Fairy will be making a visit tonight!

9 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that sounds horrible and crazy!! Hope she gets better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh poor baby girl! I hope she was not too scared. You guys will sleep well tonight.

    Feel better Olivia!

    Love,
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get better Olivia!

    Can you put anything on so it will not scar?

    ~Mia

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds awful! I am so sorry! I am glad she finally got seen!

    My sister at Olivia's age jumped into a foam pit at her Gymnastics class when of course who ever was supposed to be watching wasn't, and a little boy came right up out of the pit. My sister bit down on her tongue and filet it! At the hospital they didn't know what to do and said they couldn't numb it because it was the tongue after all. So my mom had to hold down my sister while they tried to sew it shut. Crazy.

    I'm glad she's feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Olivia poor baby!! I'm so sorry you hurt your eye and got stitches!!

    Kristen, I hate the ER, I have to thank you for the shout out's you did, they're awesome and too true, to many times I've been in the ER and the supposed sick kid is running around throwing stuff and acting like a plain ol' hethen!! I'm sorry your baby girl got hurt, I hope all is better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a similar experience with Felicity and her chin. I am a firm believer in liquid band-aide these days and 5 split chins and a cracked head later. Hope Olivia is doing well! ~Penelope

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI!!
    Oh my how sad!!
    For her and you!!
    I cannot believe your hospital ordeal, that is terrible!! The east side of town seriously needs about 2-3 more hospitals, you can never get in quickly!!!Giver her a big hug and you rest today!! Left over Mexican food, gotta love it!!!
    jamie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor Olivia~! How is she doing now? I hope better... I HATE Hospitals~! Truely HATE them I avoid them unless broken limb or deep cuts ...you can forget it lol
    Vanessa
    (((hugs olivia get better soon)))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow...crazy ER visit!! I agree...some parents I can't figure out! I pray Olivia is doing a lot better! Thanks for the encouragement on my post! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete